I'm not particularly fond of new years resolutions. Kind of hit and miss, depending on the circumstances. I do, however, like to use the new year for a little bit of introspection. This year, however, I haven't had the chance 'till now. I was tucked away at a refreshing winter camp. Then I was rushing home to rush through packing to rush back here to this mini-city. And, now, in the dying minutes of the third day of the new year, I want to think about the year past. I'm not particularly fond of memes, either. But every now and then I find one that's worth it.
What was 2011 for you?
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I travelled north into the territories.
I learned to rock climb, ice climb, and I repelled off a bridge.
I went to regular full-time class for a full semester.
I was part of a quality music recording.
I volunteered at a camp.
I made gnocchi.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
There were none, but I knocked a few off my 101. There won't be any this year, either.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, Jenni had another beautiful baby girl. One of my best friends and closest relatives is also due very soon!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. A plight I've mostly been saved from so far in my young life.
5. What countries did you visit?
The US of A. 2011, you have not been a good travelling year...
6. What would you like to have had in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
A fulfilling job. And, in a sense, I did. But it was part time writing and other freelancing. The full time stuff was duller than dishwater.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
Actual dates? Sitting through the night listening to hippis play guitar, sing French folk songs, and dance around the fire, and tentatively holding hands. It will be remembered fondly.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Four A+s, and an A, mastering freelance, and learning to love.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Breaking a heart, not maintaining all the right friendships, working through summer.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The very best? Perhaps my motorbike... Good times were had!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My siblings. All of them. I wish I could tell you how each has grown. How they've supported me. How I've loved them, even though we may fight on occasion.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
There was some unfortunate summer drama. I made some poor decisions. And I've also been disappointed by a past room mate/best friend. Why do good things end?
14. Where did most of your money go?
School. And associated expenses. Blech.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
University. And a boy. Silly boys.
16. What song will always remind of you 2011?
You want the unfortunate confession one? No Getting Over You... That one with LMFAO, Fergie, and all those other pop stars. 2011, though, has been a marvellous year for music.
17. Compared to this time last year, are:
a)happier or sadder? Happier
b)thinner or fatter? Thinner, I think
c) richer or poorer? Close to even... But soon to be much poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Working at my first-half job.
20. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Yes. Yes, I did. I freaks me out, and makes me excited-happy all at once!
21. What was your favourite TV program?
Big Bang Theory. I've never watched a single episode... But I'm pretty sure I think it's hilarious.
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate... It's a strong strong word. No one comes to mind, so I don't believe so.
23. What was the best book you read?
2011 was a poor year for reading. To many I meant to read, and not enough that I actually did.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Elllie Goulding, Florence and the Machine, Adele, Lindsey Stirling. Looks like my tastes are taking a feminine twist... How odd.
25. What did you want and get?
I wanted to leave my job and try something new. I wanted a solid relationship.
26. What did you want and not get?
I wanted to travel. I wanted to snowboard more than I did. My wants didn't happen, but they were twisted and exceeded.
27. What was your favourite film of this year?
I watch very few movies... And it takes a lot to really impress me... Tangled was good ;).
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 25. Somehow it phased me much less than 24. I entered it dancing in a barn loft with good people. I worked, another first ever, but briefly. And I got a stack of letters from the people I care for that I promised not to open until I turn 50.
29. How you would describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Increasingly athletic and tomboy, but I don't shy away from the feminine things I like. More make-up this year than ever before, which isn't saying much. Longer hair than since I graduated. Some kick-ass boots. Oh, and fake glasses everyday to school... Something has to help maintain those grades.
30. What kept you sane?
My family. Oh, and chocolate.
31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I believe last year was Channing Tatum... This year there was no replacement. I like to stay firmly in reality...
32. Who did you miss?
All sorts of people. Friends who's lives were part of mine, but who have moved on.
33. Who was the best new person you met?
My blue-eyed boy. We met on a hotsprings roadtrip early on but didn't get to know each other until summer months and carefree days.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Compromising because you damn well want to isn't usually worth it.
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
One lyric? I think not...
I picked this up on Lexi's blog. She doesn't know I exist, but I very highly recommend you visit.