Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Seventeen 'Till I Die

Today my room mate turned seventeen.  I told her, as I always tell people who turn that age, that seventeen is the best year.  In my mind I could fairly happily stay seventeen forever.  But why?

(xCoffeeAddict)
It was actually a pretty crappy year.  I was lacking direction and fought to no end with the school I'd chosen to graduate with.  This ended in tears and the principals office.  As well as fantasies of judo-throwing her incompetent self through the floor (she got fired the next year, and had been shuffled around repeatedly because she can't do her job).

I got kicked out of home.  It didn't last long, but was something of a reflection of my family situation in general.  I never got pregnant, did drugs or assorted rebel behaviour.  My parents just didn't get down with my lack of respect for imposed authority.

I spent three assorted months house sitting.  Nothing seemed more magical then a place to myself.

I questioned the beliefs I was raised with late at night, realizing they'd have to become mine, and not sure if they could.

I built.  Houses, with my Dad.

I passed my road test and took to driving like I was made for it.

I dedicated myself to judo, and subsequently reached my peak.

I struggled to establish a social group after the six month trip earlier that year threw a massive friggin' wrench in the one I was supposed to have.

For whatever reason, all that compiled into a belief that seventeen is independence, freedom and life more abundantly.

In the month before I turned eighteen I bought my own little car that I learned to love.  I also graduated, put a down payment on a place, moved out and got a full time permanent job.

Maybe it's just that I never much cared for being an adult.

7 comments:

Ella Unread said...

Woah you did at 17 what I haven't done yet! And I'm 24!!! :O
Even if you said you didn't respect authorities, you were quite mature and responsible if you moved out so young!!

Coyote Rose said...

I dunno, 17 for me sucks. I didn't have any power to do anything and i was stuck living with my parents. Now 21 was awesome!

Allison said...

When I was 17 I was too scared to drive, but I did finally get my license when I was 18. I've never owned a car. I don't own a house. I don't have a full-time job.

And to add insult to injury, I will be 27 in a few months.

I think you were an adult at 17, even if you didn't think you were.

Kris said...

Well, all you lovely ladies have edumukations. Something I never really did.

I think that I DID transition into adulthood somewhere near the end of being seventeen. It should happen. I guess I just wasn't fond of it.

Rose, yeah. I think that's what I liked about being seventeen was that I felt like I had a nice mix of freedom without too much responsibility...

Tasha said...

hey, I just wanted to let you know that I have tagged you in a blog entry. check it out when you have time

http://tinyurl.com/4rny8pg

Angel1649 said...

Seventeen is that magical time when you're still a child, but technically think like an adult. You want to make "big" decisions but can still have something to fall back on "Hey, I'm just a kid". I joined the military at 17 after graduating in May. Had to be emancipated and left home still a child. If I could go back, I can't say I'd do the same...but 17 is by far the most amazing age!

chen wish said...

nfl mlb nba nhl snapbacks
air max 90
air max 2017
free flyknit 5.0
yeezy 350 boost
yeezy 350v2 boost
lunarglide shoes
kobe bryant shoes
jordan james shoes
mercurial soccer boots