Friday, July 17, 2009

Last pick today. We hope. 260 pounds of saskatoons sitting in the cooler, ready for market. A few totes of cherries tonight, and we'll be ready to go.
My fingers are stained blue.
This has been my first stint being on the manager end of farming. It's been on the low risk end of things. A few hours and zip-lock bags. What would it be like if I'd invested my year, and hundreds of thousands of dollars?
Reason #1 I would find farming-for-real hard. The gamble. I just can't do it.
Reason #2. The commitment. Period.
Reason #3. I'm a hard worker. But I like my paycheck. And I like being able to camp in season.
I love farmers. They're great. And they keep hiring me. It would just be hard to do that every year for the rest of my life. To stress about harvest. To pour on the hours in hopes of a high pay-off.
Although, everyone says if you say that you end up married to one.... So maybe I take it back.

No comments: