Saturday, April 09, 2005

Lately I've been having a re-occurring dream where I'm able to do handsprings. Different circumstances, settings, ect. But I'm able to bounce onto my hands and back onto my feet again. Let me tell you, it's so much fun!
It's not really surprising that I'm dreaming this. I've been moaning the my inability for a while now. I'll see a stretch of lawn and want to do more then a "handstand", or "cartwheel". This girl wants to be able to handsprings!
Moaning is about all I'm doing, though. I don't have anywhere to learn it. And my biggest excuse is quite good. I'm eighteen. Is this not the age where most girls are quitting gymnastics? So if most girls are getting to old for it at this age then I'm certainly not about to start trying something new.
Also, my various groups have gone through several gym spurts. I was always the one that couldn't do it. But no one can say I didn't try. Look, if I can't learn at ten there's no way I'm going to do it now. At one point our family would clean up after church, put away the chairs, and then Dad would coach us as we lined up and tried them over and over again. It was great, until I messed up my hand pretty good on one go. I wasn't getting anywhere anyway.
Not that any of us succeeded, beyond Joe. Well...Meg was telling me yesterday that she can do them to. But, I gotta say, I'm gonna have to see it to believe it.
"I'm sure I remember trying it at the park. I think I'd land on, like, my feet...or butt...or back...or something"
O.k. If that counts then I guess I can do it too.
Hey, interesting fact of the day. Both my parents were something of gymnasts in their teens.
So, elusive handsprings. I'll keep whining about how much fun they would be. But if I could master them...I'd probably start pouting about wanting to do flips

No comments: