Thursday, March 18, 2010

Condensed version of a friend and I chatting online.  Unnecessary bits removed:
"What else has been happing?"  Inquired friend
"Not much.  Trying to get excited about staying here now that I know I am."
(Have I mentioned that I got a job.  This is an important bit of info.  It is also sufficiently freaking me out.  But I'm like that.)
Friend and I have similar backgrounds and very different personalities.  We're both the oldest of big families who were homeschooled and raised in this little town.  We both made a point of getting out of here, went and did a lot of (not at all related) things, and are now back.  This is where the similarities end.  But it was enough to put us in the same social circle.
"Oh yeah.  How's that going?"  Asked friend.
"Depends on the moment," said I, "sometimes I pull it of.  Mostly it's going to need a lot work."
"I dunno, but this thought just popped into my head.  What if we went and did exciting stuff here that we've never done before.  What if we treated this town like we weren't from here."
Now this, this is a crazy thought.  One that requires a entirely new approach.
"I'm intrigued!  What would happen If nobody here had any preconceived ideas.  Oh, and ps, I didn't have any preconceived ideas."
Let me explain.  I went on shift today.  I knew probably a third of people I was introduced to, and everyone is acquainted with at least two family members of mine.  I don't really know, but can you appreciate the implications of something like this?
"Well," Friend replied, "it would be hard to do because, in reality, those ideas exist.  But I'll leave us with that thought, it's time for me to go to bed."
I think this is a very interesting challenge, and I'm not quite sure how to start.  It'll take a little imagination.

2 comments:

Leah said...

I think you should screw whatever "preconceived" ideas you feel people will have. Maybe it will help you enjoy the place you are living if you stray from the usual spots you are used to and explore the treasures that outsiders see?
It's not like you have to go do crazy random, frowned upon things.. just a shift of attitude to enjoy your spot.

Kris said...

I love this idea. I'm going to try find ways to carry it out.