Monday, March 29, 2010

On a slow Sunday afternoon I realize some women will catch up on t.v. reruns.  The sophisticated of us may meet friends for brunch or skinny lattes.  Others will hit the mall for a little shopping retail.
None of these are me.  I collect a few bic pens, chocolate, and my car keys.
When I was very small I remember my parents taking me out for drives.  Well watching the telephone wires from the backseat I decided this was a pointless concept.  Muted adult voices drifting back, mixed with now vintage soft rock.
Once in my teens I overheard a theory that boys use driving as an experience well girls use it as a tool.  As a generalization I must admit this makes sense.  I also once overheard a slightly bitter woman saying that men tend to prefer driving standard because they're simply power hungry.
I drive standard, partly because I've grown to love the experience that is driving.  Such as drizzly Sunday afternoons, downshifting on twisty mountain roads.  Playing overused albums by Dido or Natalie Imbruglia.  Parking at the end of backroads where no one will find me and I can scribble endlessly on scrap paper with cheap ballpoint, sprawling across my passanger seat.
I can haunt my childhood neighborhood and window shop.  Just to imagine.  Looking for a sign on the ideal half acre.  A plot with a veiw or a little place to fix up.  As long as I'm here my restlessness will take some form. 
I realize, as I skid around gravel corners, that I'll undo all the summer pedalling I've done, laying claim to climate awareness.  Even in my efficient little Civic.  As summer comes I'll be driving along the lake with the windows down.  Listening, this time, to Aerosmith or Our Lady Peace.  I'll be speeding alongside fields with the smell of sunshine and an eye out for cops.
But I can't help it.

6 comments:

Anthony said...

Ahh yes, this is great Kris.

Mel said...

I liked taking that drive with you.

My favourite time of the day is the drive to/from work. It's thinking time, no obligations, nothing else I should be doing. Just dreaming and imagining and wondering and hoping...

Holly Renee said...

Beautiful. I can feel your experience. I can't drive a standard but I think it could be soothing, making the drive more of an experience. Sounds like a beautiful Sunday to me!

Christy Ashley said...

Judo??? It's not often that you find someone who knows what judo is? I competed for 15 years and my dad is a national coach...where did you train? And how seriously?

Kris said...

Anthony, Thanks. Not sure if I posted this because we talked about it, or if it was because of my drive.
Mel, I know, hey :)
Holly, I love that you comment! It was a pretty great Sunday.
And... Christy, unfortunently I didn't start judo until I was 17. And then I was obsessed. I was pretty natural, but just trained locally since I had a job, senior year, ect by then. Somebody called me out :).
And it is extremely cool to hear that you're a judoka as well! I would love to go back...

The Analyst said...

Beautiful little word sketch you painted out there keep painting them really nice blog yours must say that...